Home Viv Jude Phoebe

Friday, July 25, 2008

Remembering Randy Pausch

Randy Pausch, the Carnegie Mellon(my mom is a Carnegie Mellon Alum) professor who became a "You Tube" phenomenon with his "Last Lecture," died today of complications from pancreatic cancer. He was 47. He died at his home in southern Virginia.
He was a truly inspirational man, father, teacher, and author. I watched a Dateline NBC special a few weeks ago and have been in awe of him ever since. His last lecture was made into a book. You can purchase it by clicking on this link. I just bought it and looking forward to reading all that he had to say.

Below are a few statements from RANDY PAUSCH'S 'LAST LECTURE'

-Never underestimate the importance of having fun. I'm dying and I'm having fun. And I'm going to keep having fun every day because there's no other way to play it.

-Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

-No one is pure evil. Find the best in everybody. Wait long enough and people will surprise and impress you.

-Brick walls are there for a reason. They are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop people who don't want it badly enough.

-It is not about achieving your dreams but living your life. If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you.

-We can't change the cards we're dealt, just how we play the hand. If I'm not as depressed as you think I should be, I'm sorry to disappoint you.


Below is his now famous "You Tube" lecture...it is a long video but SO worth it to watch.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I would love to borrow the book when you are done. I have been meaning to read get a copy for awhile now.

Shannon said...

OMG - I am reading that book right now. have been away all weekend and hadn't heard this news. So sad now :-( What a man.

Amy said...

I'm gonna check it out. You know I love a good recommendation. Tell Brad I say Hi!!!

Denise said...

OMG, I have this book I am reading now also, as well my pastor honored him in his service this past sunday, Amazing man and a sad loss but he has definately impacted many and will continue to do so in the years to come I am sure.